Sorry to all the folks that follow my blog, I have been a bit lazy lately in keeping up with the news and happings here at Buzzard Mountain.
I wanted to take a moment and share one of my latest projects. A little while ago I got a Somerset S1 sent to me for repairs and a few upgrades. As some of you may know I worked with the Somerset team for awhile and help to build and design their banjos, I no longer work directly with the Somerset Company but I am always happy to help a customer out when in need. On the S1's I primarily made rough neck blanks and turned a few rims, then sent the parts off to another builder to finish them up.
This particular S1 had a few issues that needed to be addressed. The fingerboard was not securely glued and was starting to de-laminate, the neck angle was just a hair off from side to side, the nut was a bit too high and the finish was worn off on the back of the neck and rim. In addition to fixing those things the owner also wanted some upgrades. So I installed a new fretboard with a frailing scoop, did a new custom headstock inlay, added MOP side dots, did a heel cap inlay, added wood binding to the rim and refinished the whole banjo with a Hard Oil finish. I also thinned the neck profile to my standard size as the original was left a little thick.
Here are a few images of the finished banjo:
Front view showing the new fingerboard and MOP headstock inlay of a Celtic Trinity.
Back View shows the refinished neck and rim, and an Abalone Shamrock inlay in the heel cap.
A closer look at the heel cap.
A side view of the rim with wood binding added and re-finished.
A closer look at the headstock.
All and all, this banjo turned out looking great and it plays great too.
Show tagged entries
Original content in this work is licensed under a Creative Commons License